Top 5 NFL players before they hit the free agency market
With the NFL’s salary cap increasing by about $10 million from last year to $133 million and teams having holes to fill, free agency should be hectic.
1. Jairus Byrd, Bills, S: He is one of the NFL’s best safeties. Best fit: Browns
2. Eugene Monroe, Ravens, OT: Left tackles are always in huge demand, and Monroe is the best on the market. Best fit: Dolphins
3. Jared Veldheer, Raiders, T: Oakland cannot let Veldheer get away. Veldheer is a former third-round pick who became one of the NFL’s top left tackles. Best fit: Raiders
4. T.J. Ward, Browns, S: Ward had only two interceptions last season, but is strong against the run. He will compete against Byrd to be the highest-paid safety in free agency. Best fit: Eagles
5. Michael Bennett, Seahawks, DE: He took a risk by signing a one-year deal with Seattle, and it paid off with a Super Bowl championship. Best fit: Bears